On NYE, CW got glasses. On Monday, he went to back to school for the first day after the break. He took a soccer ball to the face at recess, so we went back to LensCrafters for an adjustment. On Tuesday night, one of the screws from his nosepiece fell out and it was smaller than any in those little screw driver glass repair kits so, on Wednesday, we went back to LensCrafters for another adjustment. I foresee a pattern here. But what I had not been expecting was that on Thursday, CW refused to wear his glasses to recess, to the park or even to eat (no these are not reading glasses), on the off chance they would get hurt, bumped or even smudged. I don't know if this is a growing distaste for trips to LensCrafters or more of a fear of messing up his new glasses.
The blogosphere has been awash in resolution themed posts and many have talked about the tendency to make resolutions that we have no ability (or truthfully, desire) to see to fruition. I've read all about baby steps, measurable goals and accountability. But then I started to think about CW, his glasses and my own resolutions.
I've tried to be careful, realistic and measurable in my goals this year: looking prayerfully at what is amiss and how it can change. This week has gone reasonably well. I have gone to bed early and woken up early to exercise 5 days in a row. I have eaten fruits and vegetables and so have my kids and I have eaten breakfast. But I know that subsequent weeks will have speed bumps. I will take soccer balls to the face. I will lose nosepiece screws. For me, the biggest goal of the year is to continue to attempt the changes, despite the set-backs, so that I can benefit from clarified vision and not fail to try once the trying is inevitably thwarted.
2 comments:
I think it's the age thing with the glasses. T was much better at handling having glasses. H was quite a bit younger when he got his and he was lost them, then found them, then broke them etc...way too much drama with the glasses with him!
Good Luck!
I remember getting glasses at C's age. I was so paranoid that if I got them dirty there would be no way to clean them. Needless to say I learned pretty quickly that they could be cleaned. Too bad... I really took care of them for a week or so.
Post a Comment