Friday, June 4, 2010

To be Seven



When the migraine came rolling in as CW's birthday morning began, I didn't think I was going to survive the day. But thanks to medicine, dark rooms and Caillou on Netflix Instant, I was able to ride the worst waves of pain and commence to cake baking.

CW has definite birthday ideas. For about a month before his birthday, he had wanted a bakugan cake--red cake with toys stuck in the frosting. I could not have been happier. And then, a few short days before the actual day, he changed his mind. He wanted Yoshi. Yoshi is a Mario Brothers video game resident character. I don't play the Wii games my children and husband play. I needed to be shown Yoshi. And then, I went to Google and found a template for a gift bag that I thought I could use to construct Yoshi. I was grateful to find green and black food coloring already in my cupboard and so, the Yoshi construction began. I think it turned out pretty well, but the birthday boy was in love and that's all that matters.

I can't believe he is seven. He's a little guy, so that helps fuel my delusions that seven years really haven't passed since he joined our family. In so many ways, since his arrival our lives have never been the same. CW is our family's very own Bart Simpson--with all that entails. He is often the subject of my prayers. And I have the most heartfelt love and appreciation for his teachers--the ones who take him as he is, all that he is, and love him. There is no greater gift to a mama than to love a challenging child unconditionally.

CW has had a busy school year. I can't believe it's almost over. He began the year barely, not quite, but almost reading. And now he is gobbling chapter books. His teacher, Ms. M has seen exactly how to motivate him--with extra Fun Friday minutes earned for good behavior. She proudly told me how he sometimes earns 60 extra minutes. He continues with his crackerjack love of math and legos and full body contact boy fun. He has learned so very much and will be sad to see this year at Silver Sands end. I can hardly wait to see him take the new school by storm!

For his birthday today, there was the obligatory pizza, swimming, cake and presents. We have one more week of school and then it's full summer. I can't imagine the adventures this newly minted seven year old is going to have. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what adventures we will all have on our CW ride! Seven. Wow!

1 comment:

Handsfullmom said...

Great job on the cake!