The palm trees are blowing in the chilly wind. I argue with my boys that they might want more than a hoodie for recess. The leaves on deciduous trees are finally beginning to change. The rose bushes are dormant; but there are new petunias planted in the community flower beds. Welcome to Christmas in the desert.
Christmas songs are rather homogenous. Almost all of the non-religious ones involve snow, cold and other winter scenes like fires and sleigh bells. What a funny thing for those around the world for whom Christmas comes midsummer. While it is technically winter here now, it rarely snows at all let alone before Christmas (although there was that freak storm last Christmas . . .) Christmas and snow don't go together for my children. They have never had a white Christmas. Christmas for us is an atmosphere entirely of our own making. It is found in how we decorate (negotiating where to put the breakable items so that they aren't terminally tempting to M, etc) and what songs fill our minds and cars. Every Christmas my kids seem to pick a favorite Christmas CD. For several years it was a CD found in the bargain bin called Kids Carols (on which no actual children sang, so I was always puzzled by the title). This year, the favorite CD is Straight No Chaser's Christmas CD--largely because of their silly 12 Days of Christmas.
What is your favorite Christmas CD this year? How do you get Christmasy? Is it because of or in spite of the weather?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My all-time favorite CD is, of course, the Carpenters. Something about her voice that just personifies Christmastime for me.
My 2nd favorite is Harry Connick Jr's old Christmas CD. I don't think I've even heard his new one.
Yeah, music does it for us in our 85 degree weather. Although I almost won a "fireside reflections" dvd at a white elephant party - a dvd that turns your television into an instant fireplace, crackling noises, flickering flames and all! I'm sure that would be a good Christmas mood enhancer! But my kids favorite Christmas music this year is some random techno version of Jingle Bells I found on our favorite (and cheap) Russian downloading site. I swear the singers are sweedish or something, but it sure gets everyone grooving. We need lots of upbeat music in this house to keep spirits high!
Post a Comment