These are my kiddos and their alter-egos for the season. It's not a fabulous picture, but it's what I was able to take. We are not serious Halloween people. We enjoy a good trunk or treat with our ward congregation and some limited trick or treating on the actual day (assuming it's not a Sunday) of Halloween. We don't decorate our house--I didn't even manage to get out my few token "Harvest" pumpkins this year. My nod to "decorating" my car for the trunk or treat was some "enter if you dare" tape and some gel pumpkins for the car windows which promptly fell down. I'm not creative and my sewing skills are not equally matched with my time to spare and my patience, so I find the best deals I can on the characters my children will most likely want to dress up as during the year and consider the money spent an investment in a fully stocked dress up bin.
Each year we try to balance our candy purchasing with our candy gathering so that we don't end up with too much excess. This year we almost got it perfectly matched. We were able to completely distribute all candy we had purchased AND all candy gathered from the trunk or treat during the actual Halloween evening AND we were able to distribute all M's Halloween evening gatherings as well. We let the kids chow down on the remainder for a few controlled pig out sessions and that got our harvest down to something manageable we could stash for emergencies (emergencies being when the piano teacher gives out treats to the 2 piano players and they don't want to share with the 3 pre-piano players or when I need to self-medicate with chocolate to avoid more extreme measures).
Add to this success the fact that the weather was neither too hot nor too cold for my children's choice of imaginative attire and it was the perfect Zen of holidays for us. Funny what passes for success these days, eh?
1 comment:
Ha ha. Yes, success is so relative now!
Post a Comment